22 December 2008

22nd December: It's All About a Shop

It started as a dream... My mother telling me how she would love to own a shop of her own one day. As I got a little older (maybe around 12-14) it was talked of more, thoughts and ideas were tossed around. I was too young to appreciate the time spent on research that had already been given many hours.

The turning point was an innocent request for an hour or two spent in the rain picking blackberries; the location, a run down road house in our hometown.
A number of things came to my attention that day. Firstly I was cold, and berry branches sting. (Really??) Secondly that I was the only one putting berries in the bucket, while others were only taking out, -Don't think I didn't notice that!! (You know who you are)- And thirdly, now looking back, I see how it was the launching pad for what has been a very busy past few months.

We currently run a family owned steel/manufacturing business. (My dad's life dream) Mainly the work we do is for commercial companies. The new shop is the front to the creative side of what we already have.

It has been difficult trying to explain over the last months exactly what it is we shall be opening. A show case of steel products for homes; gallery seems to explain it the best. We will be making beautiful steel products for homes and gardens, practical/useful items, as well as decorative creations.

We know steel. It is the industry that I have grown up into.

Though being as we are located in a small rural village, and there is plenty of space in this building to fill... We are opening a cafe/bakery within those four walls.

When that wonderful day arrives that we open the doors for the first time, that will be the same day I take off my overalls, (and steel-toe boots), and adorn myself in an apron. Seeing as there will be both aspects of the steel side of things to handle; my sister and I together will be taking on the cafe. How fretfully exciting I have found the thought (reality) to be.

The idea behind the cafe/bakery is to offer real, wholesome pies. Savoury and sweet. Along side a good cup of coffee, or tea if preferred. While being surrounded by a one of a kind steel gallery.

All the ideas are there ready, waiting... Time is stretched thinly, and the amount of work to be done piles higher. Though who said reaching a dream would be easy?!
One thing I have learnt through the whole process of getting things ready, is that sometimes reaching for a goal (and having trouble in the attaining there of) can make dreams turn into nightmares. But that is only today, I promise that those grey clouds will pass, and that anything worth having is a LOT of work!

No comments:

Post a Comment