25 May 2009

Week of Curiosities: Box of Secrets

This week I have decided I will be doing a series of post on things that have piqued my curious-bone over the years. This includes items I found particular, or thought-provoking; Curiosities of the heart that have no rhyme or reason.



The first thing that came to mind upon this decision being made was my box of kept secrets. (Keepsakes). Although the items within hold no special interest of their own, I have spent many hours wondering over the idea that we collect these little pieces of our day and use them as a tool of remembering moments in the past.


My box of seemingly random bits of junk brings me no end of excitement when taken down from the top of my cupboard, dusted, then scratched through. Every time it is like you are finding a little treasure that you had forgotten belonged to you. How at the sight of anything picked out there can be the recollection of a smell, sound, person, scene...


Why I love to keep these precious goodies stored in a box together is that I might keep those special moments safe. That they do not get lost in the bookcase of my mind. Too easy it is to forget something we know; what suddenly makes us remember?


The reason I call it my box of secrets is because to anyone else it would mean nothing at all. Yet I know, (without knowing how), what it all represents.

No comments:

Post a Comment