09 August 2011

It Comes Down to the Pie


Good morning friends!

I have struggled for a long time in finding a way to write on here, so it does  not turn into a journal entry of me ranting to myself. I've wanted to tell you of things close to my heart, yet some times in doing so the meaning gets caught up in words undecipherable.

I run a business with my Mam and Sister. We hand make pies from flour to to puff, marinate to filling.
Although our shop doors are only open from Fri-Sun, our job there is never done. If you will bear with me, I want to share with you the joys and sorrows of running a pie shop in a small country town.



Owning a business is not always butterflies and roses. In fact there are more things pulling you down on a daily basis than helping you along.
We have found this out once again these past two weekends, with a police man walking into the shop and informing us that all of our signs along the highway needed to be removed effective immediately or there will be fines incurred. This began a week of door knocking, every block of land along the highway for a 7-10k radios for somewhere to build a sign. (One lady admitted to being relieved we weren't Mormons come to convert her)
The end of our day saw us with a few yes's, some maybe's and some silent nothings. 
Our work now is in designing, making and erecting asap.

It was not all work in going from farm to farm. Upon a revisit to a 'yes' farm, my parents came home with a lamb. Born only minutes before they had arrived.
His mother had been found in a bad way, and 'Wilson' was an orphan before even seeing the world. For a five day old baby he is growing up so fast! Head butting, running like a pro, and gosh does he know how to eat! We love him! (Photo shoot with him today! I promise pics of cuteness tomorrow!)

This is our lives, maybe not the 'perfect' mix of work and pleasure, but certainly an adventure.

Love
Sarah-Mechelle

3 comments:

  1. thats so awesome that you run a business with your mum and sister. i bet it is alot of hard work.
    i cannot wait to hear more!
    and also, can't wait to see pictures of Wilson :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to see this cute lamb!! sounds adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I've been wanting to open up my own pie-shop/bakery ever since I saw Waitress. The film centers around a mom-and-pop waitress and her passion for baking pies. It's just really endearing, and I highly recommend watching it! Anyway, I digress. Although you've faced a few stuggles, at the end of the day, it's all worth it.

    Definitely want to see pictures of the lamb! Wilson sounds adorable. <3

    Your header is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete