05 February 2009

5th February: Unwelcome guests

My eyes opened, consciousness slowly brought into focus the room around me, as on any given morning. I open the bedroom door, pulling it toward me, I leave my sanctuary for the day.
Two steps of the twenty-five it is to the end of the corridor, my head at this time is still coming to terms with all that must be done during the next 10 hours, something is under my foot; oh, its only a frog.

WHAT!!

Whats he doing here, under my foot, waking me up so sharply and quite rudely.

I know that country girls are meant to be tough; and although I am quite happy and willing to try my hand at any job that might come up and need an extra person, -there are just a few things I have never been able to come to terms with. That is the creepy-crawlies, and reptiles. Goosies are coming up on my arms with the very thought of them.

Meeting Mr. Frog in our corridor got me thinking, how and where do these critters get in. Windows, though they all have screens, we don't have any holes in the floors, and our walls are sealed. One disturbing thought was that maybe he was carried in on one of us. (If this was the case, I pray it wasn't me, and if it was, I'm glad he hopped off before I found him attached.)

Over the years we have had some strange (uninvited) visitors. Bats that have chased us around from room to room. Mother, Me and Brother -yes Brother too- screaming with a flapping bat on our trail.
There have been spiders the size of dinner plates. Mice who had obviously never lived in any churches for they were the noisiest things you ever did hear.
But of all my creepy encounters there is one that takes the cake.

Of all the things my story could include, this time it really is about the kitchen sink. An unsuspecting, in an organising mood, younger me opened one of the two cupboard doors under the sink, without paying much attention reached my hand in to grab the detol. I looked to see how close my hand was to the bottle, and about 2cm from my fingers was the head of a snake. I did not have to think, (though there is no stopping the hundred thoughts that cross your mind at such moments) it was pure natural reaction to fly oneself to the other side of the kitchen, landing on top of the bench normally a task to climb.

My parents -outside- had no idea what all the screaming was about. Now it is a known fact that if there is anything 'iffy' to be found/had/tripped over, I will be the one to do so. "But she is inside, what could possibly be wrong?"

To this day we have no idea how that snake go there. This whole drama caused snake-proof fences to be erected and cemented in all the way around the garden.
We have not seen a snake in the garden since. Its amazing what desperate measures such events will cause you to take!

2 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you :-D
    Dropping to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah, :)
    Sorry you had the unfortunate meetings with the creepy crawlies! Haha, so funny to think of you running and jumping on the bench! hehe :) I think i do remember you telling me about that snake story, i would have died i think! I share your hate of them, i cannot stand them either!
    Mel

    ReplyDelete